Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hello, welcome, come in, feel right at home...

Welcome to our ED-P 250 seminar!


Lori and I are really looking forward to meeting you, learning about your experiences, and guiding you through your thoughts, opinions, and ideas about teaching.


If you are reading this blog post, you are doing well. Now, we challenge you to comment to this posting (see comment button at the bottom of this post [please don't start your own post yet...)


Share a description or narrative about the last meaningful thing you learned about? I will share mine in the comments just to provide an example.

3 comments:

Leanna said...

Just recently I learned how to iron - that's right - iron! I had watched my Mom iron my whole life, she showed my how to iron my partner's dress shirts, but I still never really felt like I knew how.

This past fall I took a quilting course - what a huge learning curve for me! I took the course because I've come to realize how much quilts can effectively be used for communicating social justice ideas, plus I like the meditative mode I get in when I create crafts.

In the first class we were instructed to iron our material. I thought I was going to die! I didn't know what I was doing - how do I lie it down, do I press a button to make it turn on...I thought to myself - "they are going to know that I'm a fraud - I shouldn't be allowed in this class - what was I thinking?"

However, I was so determined to make a quilt that I admitted my ignorance, got assistance from the instructor, and I learned how to iron. I finally learned how to iron for my own reasons!

Carolyn said...

The last thing that I learned was about a camera called the 'Holga'. This camera was originally created in 1982 in Hong Kong. The camera was completely made of plastic, including the lens.

The reason why I am learning about this camera is because I came across some cool photos that had the style and imagery that I was looking for. I have been interested in photography since I was very young and my brother and Dad are also very accomplished photographers.

Personally, I have spent more time in front of the camera and now I want to try another angle. The restored 'Holga' camera is an exact replica of the original, however, it has a few more added features such as a pinhole view that allows for circular, wide angle shots that have an 'old' view to them.

I look forward to getting my new 'Holga' (I ordered one online) and I will let you know how it goes !!

Rachel G said...

I am in the process of immersing myself in "coffee culture". My partner recently started working at what is considered a world-renowned coffee shop here in Victoria, as not only are their barista's antionally credited, but the coffee is considered some of the best in the world.
I have been an avid coffee fan for a number of years now, and as a result of my partner's new job, have had the opportunity to work with a state-of-the art espresso machine, and pull my own shots! This is really exciting for me, as if any of you that drink coffee for the actual coffee (not the milk and flavours!) will know, a good shot of espresso is reeeeaaaalllly hard to pull! There is so much to learn about coffee itself, as well as the industry, and I find it really inspiring the the local community is such a leader in quality coffee - in all that entails.