Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"I can not wait!"

I found the visit to the "traditional school" setting to be very motivating. Sitting in a grade 1 classroom, observing the little children try to stay on task, and watching the teacher with her bionic vision made me so EAGER to start teaching. I feel so comfortable in that sort of setting. I think this is what we all needed-- a good comparison of two amazing choices for practicum. I believe that either way, traditional or alternative, we will benefit from the experience. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I can not wait to have my own class, and begin my journey as a teacher!!

10 comments:

kristenp said...

I completely agree with Navi. I visited a grade 4/5 classroom, and when they were working on their research, most of them were more than happy to display their work to us and let us help them in any way. Watching the teacher interact with the students definitely made me yearn for my own class, for the time when I can be that leader in young children's lives and guide them through their journey in school and life. After visiting the traditional school I know that I would like to do my practicum in that type of setting. I believe that I decided to become a teacher because of the teachers I had, and I hope to do the same for some of my students.

Anonymous said...

I am excited also, but i was a little disappointed with my classroom experience. For the whole time we were in a computer lab. They were working on a practice provincial exam. So their wasn't to much teaching going on. I really wanted to see how a L.A class functioned. Their were some positives though we got to help them along if they had any question. We also got to see the different levels of academics in the class. Some students finished way ahead of others and we got to see what they are tested on in the grade. I am hoping for the next visit I will get to see what it is like in the classroom.

Nicole said...

On Tuesday, I was fortunate enough to visit a grade 8 class at Arbutus Middle School. There we were sent on our way to different classrooms. I was really nervous because I have never had the urge to teach at a Middle School age, but to my surprise it was not as scary as I thought it would be. Our mentor teacher was MS. Conrad, a new teacher, who also graduated from UVIC. She was teaching grade 8 math to her students and fortunately for us she had two classes where she taught the same lesson but it gave us insight on two different sides of the spectrum. The two classes were like night and day when it came to work ethic and attitude. I got up the courage to walk around the class attempting to help the students with their work; however, I found trying to explain the process to be very difficult. I knew the answer and how to get the answer but it was challenging to figure out how to explain it to them. I think that is going to be the hardest part- bringing your explanation down to their level.
Over all I had a great time and cannot wait for my next observation experience!

Carly said...

Visiting the "traditional" school was an invaluable experience and I agree that it makes me so eager to have my own classroom. If offered a job tomorrow part of me would want to take it, but the other part wants to stay in school forever. These visits have demonstrated the importance of our future jobs as the education of another human being is going to rest on our shoulders. Being in the classroom reinforces the fact that our job is not one that we can take lightly. I don't know about you but I am glad we still have another 2 years! I'm not ready yet!

Lamb1986 said...

Our trip to Arbutus was a great experience. Being someone who already teaches in an alternate environment it was great to get into a "traditional" classroom and observe how the dynamics work. I have the "I can not wait!" urge in me but I'm also a little scared (for lack of better words). I think I was a bit out of my element with the middle school kids and I believe I will find the elementary school a little more like home. However, maybe it might be a good thing for me to branch out of my comfort zone and do a practicum in a middle school..hmmm..guess I'll have to think on that one! Can't wait to visit the elementary school and compare the two "traditional" environments!

Chelsea said...

I had an awesome experience at Arbutus Middle School. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I was able to take a lot away from this experience. Observing 2 different Grade 8 math classes learn the same lesson was surprising! Even though it was the same lesson, the classes acted quite differently. The first class seemed to behave quite well while the second class was a bit more chaotic. Even though I picture myself teaching elementary school I still really enjoyed being able to experience what a Grade 8 class was like, and am not so frightened at the thought of teaching older students. I am looking forward to our next trip to Frank Hobbs to see what other wonderful things I can observe and learn about teaching!

Ara said...

Yes, I agree that after visiting Frank Hobbs last week I was (and still am) so excited to have my own class! To have the children's work on the wall, to be a part of this community that is so full of learning and excitement! I just hope I'm lucky enough to get a job at a school like that right away! Although I do agree with Danielle about the fact that our whole class time was spent in the computer lab and that it wasn't the ideal observing situation. I'm sure the next one will be different however, so I wasn't that upset. We did end up helping the student's when they needed it, especially in the reading department.

Alison Heather Spear said...

Both of my visits (to Frank Hobbs and Arbutus) were also very satisfying.

Something that surprised me: The grade eight teacher called her students "boys and girls" and "children" and the principal said that the children play imaginary games. The grade one teacher had children sitting on the floor and in their desks from the bell until recess.

Something that disappointed me: The traditional school setting at Arbutus means that they cannot accomodate new students to move to the district and that students sometimes sit in their desks without anything to do for more than twenty minutes at a time. Parents and community members cannot use the school facility to run clubs independently, (i.e. without a teacher-sponsor present at all events).

Something that pleased me:
Students in the middle school took charge in transforming their learning environments and building their own senses of community on a regular basis. The elementary school had a garden which children may choose to help keep.

Something that I will do differently because of my observations:
I won't count on middle school students to think of something that they can do while they are waiting for their classmates to finish their exams; I'll provide them with the materials to quietly create something to hang on the wall, for example. I'll be less rigid with my expectations of when children will arrive at elementary school and plan individual or distributed learning opportunities for children to work on while they wait for the first mini-lesson.

My decision regarding the practicum: I've chosen to do an alternative practicum placement, but my proposal relates to in-school service. I chose this opportunity because I can see a project through from start to finish and make community contacts that I wouldn't normally be able to if I was visiting a classroom for only three weeks.

Anonymous said...

After our intial visit to Frank Hobbs I felt the same way Navi did, "I can not wait". After observing a grade one class, I felt confident in my abilities as a teacher and wished I could get started teaching in the classrooms right away.

After a second visit to Frank Hobbs, with a practicum soon, my feelings have changed slightly. This visit I observed a 5th year student from Uvic in her last week of her practicum. I thought she did a good job and it was great to see what we are learning actually being used in a real classroom context (TGFU). However this also made me extremely nervous for our practicum in April. It is coming up soon and I hope we discuss in class what we should expect and what will be expected of us!

Tania said...

Like Nicole, I too felt nervous about attending the middle school visit, and the thought of having to teach these grades. After two visits, I am not squimish at the thought of teaching these grades, as much. People always ask " what grades do you want to teach" and I have never really have an answer. The thought of teaching older grades made me nervous, but I have always hoped and worked at being able to teach the entire range of elementary grades. Each environment brings its own challenges and rewards. I look forward to all of it!