Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Classroom Management

I look forward to having my own class one day. The school visit was insightful; however, I became slightly discouraged as I sat and observed. My feelings stem from a physical disability that largely affects my life. And so, I ponder, how will this affect my teaching, more specifically my classroom management strategies and abilities. I wonder how I will use it to provide knowledge and understanding to my students, and if it will be a hinderance or a help in classroom management?

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I don't see your physical disablity being a hinderance on your classroom management. I think that if your class is set up and structured so students understand what is expected of them that you won't have any problems. Students are quite understanding and will sympathize with a disability, so really the challenge that we face is how we can establish management strategies that will be effective even if we aren't physically in the classroom. When approaching classroom management I think it is important to establish and explain what is expected right from the beginnning so students understand and know what is expected of them.

Rachel Soepboer said...

I think that classroom management extends beyond the physical reality which we set before students. It is also about a teaching philosophy and how we convey ourselves to our students. We must establish a set of mutual guidelines and a code of ethics with our students very early on that they believe in. If this is done then I think that they will value and respect the classroom environment as well as you so that obstacles such as yours are not a hinderence but simply a point under the larger context of their social behaviours in the classroom.

Chantal said...

I agree with Rachel. I think that classroom management is about the rules and expectations we place on students. It is also about respect. If we teach our students to respect eachother, and their peers who may also be struggling in some way, I think that we would create a classroom community based on mutual respect and then a disability wouldn't be a problem.