Last Tuesday was a good day because I spent most of it with Grade 1’s! In the morning I observed at Frank Hobbs, and in the afternoon teaching dance at SMU. I always learn so much from school visits and think we should have them more frequently than we do in 3rd year.
At Frank Hobbs the teacher had me work with a student that needed “lots of help”. As I worked with him I found that he was very competent and did not really need much help at all. Until after about five minutes I found that he became very distracted by a string on his sleeve. I refocused him and again he became distracted after only a few minutes. After I was discussing with the teacher about this child and she said, he “was not going to do very good in school” because of his inability to remain focused. This was a statement I strongly disagree with.
I feel there are endless ways to accommodate children’s various needs when it comes to learning and being successful in school. In this case, for the Grade 1 teacher to decide that this student will not “do well” rather than finding alternative solutions that will support this child, I think would be the major cause to his failure in his future education.
I did not say anything to the teacher at the time, but have had a few heated debates with her in my head since that day!!! Just one more reason to add to my list of becoming a teacher ;)
11 comments:
I agree that we should be given more opportunities to get out into the field in our 3rd year. We have been fortunate enough to have a couple opportunities to lead Physical Education lessons.
In regards to Chantal’s comment about how the grade one teacher has already labeled one of her students as a future failure; shows me that the teacher is not willing to put forth any extra effort. The class that I was observing at Frank Hobbs was a grade two class. They were getting ready to go on a skating fieldtrip. As we all know from experience, field trips bring out the excitement in everyone. Susan Morriss seemed like she has taught for many years. She was able to keep the students somewhat calm considering all the activities that were happening: Valentine’s Day, Skating fieldtrip and a Pro-D Day on the Friday.
There was one activity that the student’s were engaged in that I didn’t really understand. The students were asked to write a little story about the 100th day of school; and when most of the students were done the assignment, they were asked by the teacher to join her by the author’s chair. She then proceeded to have the students share their stories and in return they were given a 100th day pencil. Unfortunately for the students who were slower writers, they had to stay at their desks until they were finished. Rather than this hurrying them along, it took longer for the slower students to complete the task because they were focused on what the other students were saying and receiving. I know that you have to set a time limit but I don’t think singling students out is the right way of going about it.
After reading Chantal's comments about the teacher saying that a student wouldn't "do well" made me quite angry. I strongly agree that students should not be given labels, especially ones like this particular teacher made. Just because a student isn't performing well in class does not mean that he or she will not do well.
Although students tend to lose focus I think it is up to the teacher to look a little deeper into the reasons behind the student's actions. Perhaps the student is having problems at home, is hungry, or is trying to get some kind of attention (even if it is negative). Most often there will be a reason why the student can focus so if the teacher is able to figure out what the problem is then a solution can be reached.
Putting a label on a student is something that teachers should never do. Labels put limits on people, and we, as teachers, should be trying to help all of our students reach their greatest potential.
I read Chantal's experience a little differently - the teacher did not label the child a failure but simply pointed out that in a school system that is set up as it is...[desks, time limits, grade separations, number of teacher: student ratio, content-focused curriculums, fill in the blank...] this student is bound to struggle because he does not fit into the traditional school expectations. I feel that judging the teacher and not consiering the larger context is too simplified.
School is a complex education system that purposely works to keep high achieveing students looking successful, and students with other learning strengths marginalized like we do with so many other people in society...schools are a reflection of the bigger society - start to notice the similiarities.
The beauty is that you are going to be teachers who can make a difference for those students who struggle in a traditional classroom setting - you have the tools and willingness to create positive learning environments. The question then becomes, what happens to that student next year when they get into Ms/Mr X's classroom and they are really strict about [spelling, paying attention, being done on time, etc...] - how are you going to be part of the change to the whole system and not just your own safe classroom...
Very interesting topic! Although I am becoming a teacher, I sometimes worry about sending my son into the school system. I am very conflicted about the idea of children going to school. Of course I see all of the benefits, but it just does not seem right for children to be pent up in a classroom all day. It is sad that there are some children who are bright and competent but will struggle due to the way our system is set up.
Perhaps judging the teacher is too simplified, but this teacher has the opportunity to teach this boy ways to succeed, rather than labeling him as unable to succeed. Although her classroom might be a safe place that only lasts a year, I think it is important the he has a positive educational experience at this young age. If he is constantly feeling like a failure, chances are he will become one. If he is given opportunities to succeed, there is the chance he will succeed in the future. Maybe once he starts grade 2 he will be mature enough to focus for longer periods of time. Since he had a positive grade 1 experience, he has the confidence to succeed in grade 2.
The system is something that changes at a snail pace. I believe it is our job as teachers to reach every student within the conforms of the system. Unfortunately, not every teacher will help, or even know how to help each child, and some students will be failed, literally and figuratively, by the system.
I think being a teacher in a traditional school setting and seeing so many different children all the time is going to be very difficult at times. There are going to be some children who really struggle in your class. Everybody learns so differently and it's sad to see kids that just cannot learn in the traditional sense. It has nothing to do with them being "stupid" or "unable" to excel in school, it's just they learn things differently.
I think that if I notice children struggling in school, I could always spend some time trying to help them after school. Maybe just trying to understand how they are learning and seeing things would help me adjust the way teach to accommodate these particular students.
I also know that we might not have the time to help every student one on one. Could we refer students to specialists? I don't know what the protocol is for that in schools, but maybe the school could have some psychologists come in and do some tests to find out ways that will help these students learn.
I'm deeply saddened when I hear about students who have had very negative learning experiences growing up and I've seen how this can effect people throughout their entire lives. I know that I will do whatever it takes to help each child succeed in their learning. I'd hate to ever label students as future failures, because I believe everybody has the ability to succeed, as teachers we just need to constantly modify and adjust our teaching strategies to meet everyone's need in the class.
I have to say that after reading all the comments I tend to agree with what Leanna said. I read the comment in the same sort of way she did. The truth is that although the school system is changing it is a slow process. Students that cannot learn well in the traditional setting will have trouble. I do not think that is any excuse to not try and work with the child while he is in your class, and I believe that teacher probably is doing what he/she can. Teachers who put special effort into children who are having difficulties will have an impact on these students. However, those same students can still struggle if they end up with a more traditional teacher. All we can do is try to make a difference but I have to agree that boy will probably struggle some because he has trouble with traditional schooling. It does not mean I do not believe he will be successful, or that I would try any less with him, it just means he will probably have trouble in this system.
This is definitely an interesting topic and I am glad that Leanna brought up the topic of the school system. It is interesting for me because I do not see our current school system as negatively as some. I absolutely agree that the way school is set up (desks, time limits, student:teacher ratios etc)is not beneficial to some students.
But it is my belief that school is not just about teaching students facts and deciding whether they can retain these facts or not.But it is about teaching students how to work within these parameters to achieve success. What I mean is that I feel that as a teacher we have the ability to make a difference by teaching students how to succeed given the various constraints and that this is a fact of life. If everytime a child has a difficulty with something we send them to a specialist or we change the requirements for them, they are going to expect this to happen outside of school. And we all know that that doesn't happen. Even in high school I found teachers unwilling to support students. We have to be able to support and encourage our students and their learning, but we also have a responsibility to contribute to their development as human beings. Sounds kinda heavy! But I think it's true.
If we do teach our students how to figure out what the best solution to their own problem is then perhaps that student will be able to achieve success with the teacher that does have rigid time limits, paying attention etc. Some students do very well in these settings. And it is my belief that working with individual students is less overwheliming then trying to restructure the classroom environment.
With all that said I wish I had some great answer to the question of how then do we help the child who is having difficulty concentrating and as the teacher puts it, "not going to do well in school". What exactly I would say to this student or how I would get them to see that their habits are not benefitting them is something that I would really have to spend a long time thinking about. I guess I think that with experience these answers will come to be. Well I hope so anyways.
I think that I agree with what Leanna says but feel that with it, Chantal's story comes full circle back around to the teacher. The teacher vocalizing the fact that this student is not going to do well, however she meant it, is not initiating any change in the system that unfortunate but true, Leanna describes. So when a system is created as such, teachers who cater to its flaws of hierarchy (by deeming certain children as failures within said system) are only helping rather than hindering its perpetuation. If that teacher wants to make a change she can, and that is something for all of us to keep in mind.
Very interesting points everyone!
If there is anything that I have learned from the various teachers and schools I have had the opportunity to visit, it is that all teachers teach differently and that each student learns differently. When I visited Frank Hobbs, the grade 1/2 teacher had a great way to deal with these issues. She had the class working in 5 or 6 different groups. One of the groups was the students who were excelling and one of the groups were the distracted or less capable students. Each group had different activities to complete. I worked with the distracted, less capable group. We played word bingo. These students highly enjoyes the activity and I thought they were really trying hard to complete it.
i think it is very important to work in the classroom this way. The less capable students will not feel frustrated and the more gifted students can have a challenge.
This is definitely something I will remember when I am teaching!
In response to Chantal's original post, I also took away from the comment that the teacher was labelling the student. As many of us our aware, children progress and different stages and levels, and to look a six year old and definatively know that they will have issues throughout their education seems unfair.
My brother was labelled at a very young age as being a "problem child" and one that would never succeed academically. He was only six when his first grade teacher told my mom this. Although he was labelled at a very young age, he eventually worked through his problems, and graduate from high school with honours. Had my mom accepted that he would always struggle, she maynot have pushed him as she did, and he maynot have done as well in school as he did.
I personally think that we should never label a student, but if we identify them struggling, we should do our best to see them succeed to their potentinal.
I completely feel for the situation Chantal was placed in and feel that the lack of respect the teacher showered towards the child was negligent. I was shocked to hear that the teacher would say that, especially due to the fact that she would have known Chantal's status as an Elem. Ed. student.
I wonder if after she said what she said, if at all, she felt bad or even realized what she had done.
It is this type of attitude that should give all of us the extra motivation to want to get into the schools and make a difference. All children need help, big or small, a lot or hardly any. But it is their right to receive the full support from SUPPORTIVE and ACTIVELY INVOLVED teachers!
Post a Comment