Sunday, March 9, 2008

BCTF Conference

Last weekend a few of us attended the 2008 New Teachers’ and Student Teachers Conference in Richmond which was hosted by BC Teachers Federation. It was an exciting experience where there were a bunch of workshops, lectures and key note speakers and fun activities. The conference was a wonderful opportunity for us to network and because it was a new teachers and student teachers conference we were able to listen to many beginning teachers experiences and learn how they worked through their different situations. I would recommend each of us attends a workshop before venturing out into the teaching profession because it gives personal insight from many people teaching in different school districts, and grade levels. I attended 6 workshops and only found one to be slightly disappointing. I came home with an abundance of pamphlets and business cards of people to get in touch with for various resources. Overall the weekend was a huge success and it has given me important insight on how teachers are willing to help out fellow teachers, if you ask they will be more than likely pleased to help.

Also… next year the British Columbia Primary Teachers’ Association is hosting their annual fall conference in Abbotsford and I have left my email with them to contact me because I am interested in helping out at the conference. I was told that by helping out they will pay your entrance fee and you too can attend the workshops. If anyone is interested I will pass the information on once I hear more about the conference.

10 comments:

Chelsea said...

I also attended the BCTF conference and was able to gain a lot of valuable information. I found it extremely beneficial to be able to network with new teacher, but also with the workshop instructors. Many of the instructors were extremely knowledgeable about particular topics and were willing to share their knowledge and experience with us.

While talking with some of the new teachers it was reassuring to know that they had the same fears and anxiety when they finished school. One person in particular mentioned that no matter how many classes that we take, we will never fully be prepared to teach. This is somewhat scary, but also relieving at the same time. As we are going out on our practicums, it is good to know that our experiences may be negative and difficult, but it will only get easier!

Tania said...

I also attended the BCTF Conference, and what an excellent experience. I am a conference kind of person. I love learning new things. If the opportunity arises, I'm there. All of the workshops brought new ideas, even inter-related ideas, of teaching methods, and environments. I came home with a stack of resources, and information that I haven't really had the chance to take a good look at yet.

It was nice to talk with other student teachers, and new teachers to here there experiences. I look forward to the next conference, the interesting workshops which are invauable, the resources, and the people.

kristenp said...

I too attended the conference and would definitely recommend it to everyone. Not only did I learn a lot of things from the workshops, but I also now have many contacts. One of the presenters even gave us his phone number! I know that if I ever had a problem or a question I could simply call or email him and he would be happy to help even though he doesn't know me! We have been learning about creating classroom community, and this conference made me see that teachers have this same kind of community for sharing. It was a great networking experience, among other things.

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that we're already getting involved with these types of conferences. It is so important for teachers to attend workshops, so they can reach success with their students, and introduce new innovating ideas.

We always hear how life is all about networking and connections- what a great way to start by attending these conferences. Nicole way to get into the teacher circle... I would love to volunteer as well! Where can I sign up?

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that we're already getting involved with these types of conferences. It is so important for teachers to attend workshops, so they can reach success with their students, and introduce new innovating ideas.

We always hear how life is all about networking and connections- what a great way to start by attending these conferences. Nicole way to get into the teacher circle... I would love to volunteer as well! Where can I sign up?

Anonymous said...

I was not even aware that we would be allowed to attend these conferences as we are not yet teachers. It sounds like all of you who went learned a lot and had a great time. I just wanted to thank all of you for sharing your experiences at the conference. I'm with Navi, where do I sign up for next year?

kendahlc said...

I also attended the BCTF a few weeks ago and found that it had a great deal to offer me as a student teacher. I found for the most part that the workshops were very useful and provided me with a wealth of information. Although this was only a weekend, I found that it offered me a great deal of information and support.

The networking aspect, was a very important element of the conference. We were able to make connections with the teaching community, that had we not attended the conference may not have occurred.

The most vital aspect of the conferene for me was the ideas that I took away. In attending a science workshop I discovered different ways of teaching a single science unit that would be fun and engaging for students, because I found the activities fun for myself.

Overall, I am really glad I attended the BCTF. It was an important step in crossing into the teaching community and allowed me to really feel like I had entered into the teaching profession!

Anonymous said...

I was signed up for the conference but unfortunately was too sick to attend. Im really glad to hear that it was such a great experience! I hope to attend next year. I think conferences are a great way to hear the latest learning ideas from many people as well as a great way to network and get your name out there. That being said I am attending the TGFU conference in May at UBC. I am excited to learn TGFU from the people who created it and I hope that I will be healthy this time... Congratulations to you guys for attending. Where can I sign up for the primary conference??

Alison Heather Spear said...

Hello. I found some documents from Pro-D events in Victoria and I remembered that at one event, the gymnasium was filled with booths of support services for students. Teachers were encouraged to walk around and talk with the social workers and other individuals about specific concerns and programs. I was thinking that we might be smart to invite community organizations to the conference next year. Here are the organizations which attended the event that I am thinking of:
Foster Parent Support Services Society
Big Brothers & Big Sisters
Child and Family Counseling Services
F.O.R.C.E. Families Organized for Recognition and Care Equity
MCFD Child and Youth Mental Health
MCFD Eating Disorders Program
VIHA Early Psychosis Intervention Program
Capital Families Association
Island Sexual Health Society
AIDS Vancouver Island
Project Respect Woman's Secual Assault Centre
Victoria Youth Clinic
Heart and Stroke Foundation
Victoria Epilepsy and Parkinson's Centre
Canadian Cancer Society
South Island Dispute Resolution Centre
South Island Problem Gambling Services
NEED Crisis and Information Line
Victoria Native Friendship Centre Youth Program
Inquiry Healthy Human Leadership
Power of Hope
Worklink Employment Society
Sandra Dixon Road Recovery
If some of the services provided by these organizations and programs don't seem directly related to elementary students, we can remember that they might be helpful for parents and caregivers, who will ask us for advice.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that students that are up and coming teachers could attend BCTF conferences. It sounds like those who attended came back with some real valuable knowledge and strategies.

I am definitely interested in attending next years British Columbia Primary Teachers' Association conference in Abbotsford and would be willing to help out if I get free entry and can also attend the workshops!