Thursday, March 6, 2008

First Day Blues Revisited

I made a posting back on January 8th about democratic education, in which I asked if fear has place in education.

I found this article:

Fisher, M. (2007) "Invoking 'Fear' Studies", Journal of Curriculum Theorizing, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 39 - 71.

I haven't had a chance to read the article, yet, but I thought that I would post it here because we talked a bit about the appropriateness of The Breadwinner by Sarah Ellis for teaching in Elementary schools. It recalled to mind an early conversation that we had in a philosophy class about whether it is useful to teach someone about something threatening if they can do nothing to prepare for it.

Anyway, if you are interested, there is a short discussion on page 51 about whether fear is a rational, intelligent response or a complex mechanism of self-protection. Fisher uses the example of terrorism to evoke "fearisms" with which the North American reader might already be familiar with.

No comments: