The chapter gives brief overviews of "learning positions", or theories on the processes of human learning. The theories highlighted are Behaviourism, Mentalism, Constructivism, as well as cultural, critical, and ecological "complexity theories". After outlining the pros and cons of each theory, the authors go on to define education as a "transphenomenon" requiring a "transdisciplinary attitude". With this in mind (and do you agree with this?) would you, as a teacher, give equal regard and time to each learning theory? Are there some that speak more to you than others? Are there any that you really don't agree with, on either a scientific or personal level?
While reading the chapter I felt really frustrated, as I felt that each theory presented was ridiculously incomplete in terms of application in the classroom. On the last page of the chapter, however, the authors bring up two points that I found really validating: "not all educators must be consciously aware of or attuned to these learning systems, but that they should be more cognizant of the sorts of qualities that distinguish a complex learning system from a mechanical system" (p.111). And, "educators should be attentive to theories and the ways that those theories position them as teachers" (p.111). I really appreciated the last quote, but am wondering what the rest of you feel about it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment